Which sofa fabric is best for you?
Buying a new sofa is a big and important purchase. Your sofa should be beautiful and functional as it will not only be the centerpiece of your living room set, but also a place to relax with a book, snuggle with a loved one, or get together with friends and family. With so many styles and price ranges to choose from, where do you start? How do you decide on a sofa fabric that will provide lasting beauty for your home and lasting comfort for your family to enjoy for years to come?
Furniture can be upholstered in leather or fabric. Then you must decide if you want real / natural or synthetic fabrics. When considering your options, consider these top questions:
– Do you want natural or synthetic materials? Genuine or fake leather? Please note: natural materials may be more beautiful, but they are not practical for every home.
– Will it be reserved for formal occasions (use / light use) or will it be used for daily family life (more intense and constant use)?
– How much do you want to spend? High-end natural pieces can cost thousands and last for generations, while synthetic fabrics are cheaper and can withstand more wear and tear.
Leather: genuine or fake?
– Genuine leather is the most durable of all the natural upholstery materials available. Expensive, yes, but also comfortable, versatile and durable.
– Synthetic leather (usually made from a polyamide blend microfiber) can be an alternative for those who like the look of leather but want to be more animal-friendly. Most microfiber blends are soft and easy to clean (though not as breathable as real leather) and come in a variety of colors. Less popular are PVC fibers; It has been found to be unhealthy or environmentally friendly due to the toxic chemicals released during the construction or destruction phase.
Fabric: natural or synthetic?
– Natural upholstery fabrics include linen, cotton, wool, and silk. Take into consideration:
– Silk and linen, although more elegant, are not recommended for daily or intensive use due to the fragility of the fabrics and the difficulty in removing stains.
– Wool and cotton are beautiful and child-friendly materials. Both are sturdy fabrics that don’t pile up or wrinkle easily, making them good for frequent wear. Wool has a somewhat natural stain resistant quality. 100% cotton is the softest, but it tends to stain and shrink, while cotton blends, while fairly soft, shrink more and are more resistant to stains).
– Synthetic fabrics (or microfibers) are synthetic fabrics created from PVC plastic fibers, polyamide (strong, used in outdoor furniture rugs and cushions) or polyester (softer, used in upholstery and clothing) . PVC is not popular as it was found to be unhealthy for the environment due to toxic chemicals released during the construction or destruction phase. The most commonly used synthetic fabrics include polyester, nylon, and acrylic that can be used alone or mixed with other natural or man-made fibers.
– Microfiber can be quite soft and easy to clean and is available in a wide variety of colors and styles.
– They can be produced to look almost exactly like natural fibers, such as wool, but they tend to be stronger and more durable.
– Synthetics are more popular in areas of heavy use (such as homes with children or adolescents) as they can withstand a lot of use.
– Often times, synthetics or synthetic blends are treated during the weaving process to make them more resistant to spills, stains and discoloration.
In conclusion, whatever your budget, whether you are looking for game room furniture or heirloom pieces, your options are as endless as your imagination!
About the Author: Our author has always had a bit of an obsession with great home furnishings, furniture, and kitchens. Growing up with very little as a child, she often took her mother’s catalogs and made her dream home room by room with a glue stick and some paper. Now that she’s grown up, she owns the house she built as a child and hopes her passion will help others find a way to make their home perfect. You can visit their website at https://HomeSweetHomeStore.com. Enjoy!